I know, this is not a baking site. But! Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride. The only way to live! However, we can’t ride very far or fast (especially on the pedals) if we’re bogged down with a bunch of crap food. So I’ve finally perfected the double chocolate chip cookie. Thanks to HeatherVescent for the perfect starter recipe. Hers is great, but I needed it to be Free. Gluten Free. Sugar Free. And Dairy Free. I’ve been afraid to ditch the dairy, but finally crossed over completely. You could call these Coconut Chocolate Delights, there’s so much Coconut in them. And they are truly delightful. Trust me, I know chocolate And these are the best cookies I’ve ever tasted. All ingredients are organic and fair trade whenever possible. Especially the boiling water…
- 1 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 1/4 cup Coconut Sugar
- splash of ½ & ½ (So Delicious coconut creamer)
- splash of boiling water
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 medium sized ripe bananas (blended to liquid)
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 ½ cup flour (gluten free baking flour)
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- 1 bag Sunspire Grain Sweetened Chocolate Chips (actually $4 cheaper at Whole Foods, if you can believe that!)
- 1/2 cup or more Chopped Walnuts
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 1/4 cup Cacao nibs
- Measure out the coconut oil and beat on high in a mixer, ideally just chilled enough to be buttery, not liquid.
- Add the sugar and beat very well. After several minutes add the creamer and blend.
- Then add the splash of boiling water and mix well. The boiling water should slightly dissolve the sugar and coconut.
- Add the vanilla, salt and baking soda and beat very well.
- Then pour in the bananas (which you’ve blended to a smooth liquid in a blender) and beat for 2-4 minutes.
- Then add the cocoa powder, mix thoroughly.
You really want to get everything mixed together here, because you don’t want to mix as much when you add the flour.
- Then add the flour – mixing as little/lightly as you can get away with.
- Then add the chocolate chips, nuts and all the other goodies that you want.
- Refrigerate the dough for 15-30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 then bake for 10 minutes – leave on the cookie sheet outside the oven for another 2 minutes for chewy cookies.